flag

Last Updated:
Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:56 GMT
Space
Img
Phenemine without Prescription
Keyword Search: in
Hidden Dangers From Poison Oak, Ivy & Sumac Plants

This article has been viewed 11029 times.
Ask us a Question
Name
Email Address
Comments
Code ^

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, each year 10 to 50 million Americans develop an allergic rash after contact with Poison Oak, Poison Ivy and Poison Sumac Plants. The invisible oily resin called urushiol causes the ill effects of these poisonous plants.

Poison ivy, oak, or sumac is found in every state except Alaska and Hawaii. These plants are important to the eco-systems where they thrive. The small, white or bluish berries found on the ivies feed a number of birds and small animals. The irritants found in urushiol oil do not effect most animals and the tangles from the plants serve as shelter.

This oily resin can stay on pets, shoes, hiking boots, clothes, toys, garden tools, lawn mowers and anything else that has made contact. In fact, the oil stays active on any surface, including dead plants, for up to 5 years.

Symptoms

After making contact, the reaction (called dermatitis) may include a rash followed by bumps and blisters that itch. Scratching does not spread the outbreak but may cause infection because it allows bacteria from dirt on the hands to enter the skin. Symptoms can last ten days to several weeks to heal.

Mild Symptoms

* Severe redness
* Signs of infection, such as pus
* Rash in mouth, eyes, or genital area
* Rash on a large portion of your body or face
* Mild symptoms can be treated with simple and natural home remedies. See below.

Severe Symptoms

* Swelling of the throat, tongue, or lips
* Difficulty breathing or swallowing
* Weakness or dizziness
* Bluish lips and/or mouth
* Unconsciousness
* Severe Symptoms need immediate emergency medical care.

Caution

NEVER burn poison ivy. Burning these poisonous plants puts the urushiol resin in the air and can get in your lungs and possibly your neighbor's lungs. If you get poison ivy in your lungs, you will need to go to the hospital.

Pet Alert

The only threat to resin on our pets is if it is rubbed off onto other things or people. If your pet merely has the bumps and is itching, you can not catch it from them.

Treatment

Because urushiol is a oily resin and not a water based fluid, it will not evaporate and it can linger for several years.

Use mild soap and cold or cool water to wash off the resin. Do not use hot water because it opens your skin pores and thus absorb more of the oil.

You may want to apply rubbing alcohol to the affected area(s) with cotton balls, and then rinse again with cold water. You can apply calamine lotion, a zinc oxide ointment, or baking soda paste (3-tsp. soda to 1-tsp. water) to the affected area(s), or soak in an oatmeal bath, to relieve the symptoms somewhat.

Generally, the best treatment is time the rash and itching should go away on its own in one to two weeks. Try to keep your hands away from your eyes, mouth, and face, and scratch as little as possible, as this will irritate the rash further and may introduce infection.

This article is for general information only and not intended for or to replace any medical advice. Always check with your doctor for treatment of any health condition.


By Wayne McDonald
All rights reserved. Any reproducing of this article must have the author name and all the links intact.

Author:

Biography: Wayne McDonald is a health care professional and public speaker for safe natural treatments of annoying and burdensome health challenges.

ALSO VIEW OUR
Articles
(Total : 8)
  Title
Sort by Title A-Z
Sort by Title Z-A
Benefits of Massage Recliners vs. A Massage Therapist
Hidden Dangers From Poison Oak, Ivy & Sumac Plants
Important Health Update
Massage Bill of Rights
Parent and Teachers Guide to Child Safety
Shingles Natural Treatment
Ten Powerful Keys to Unlocking Health
Ten Tips For Restful Sleep


Disclaimer and Terms. This article is the opinion of the author. WorldwideHealth.com makes no claims regarding this information. WorldwideHealth.com recommends that all medical conditions should be treated by a physician competent in treating that particular condition. WorldwideHealth.com takes no responsibility for customers choosing to treat themselves. Your use of this information is at your own risk. Your use of this information is governed by WWH terms and conditions.

left border
Space
right border
space
Home | Alternative Medicine | Directory | Health Article | Health Video | Daily Health News | Training Courses | Associations | Ecards | Members Link to Us |
Health Related Web Links | Site Map | about us | Contact Us | Add Health Articles to Your Site Complementary Alternative Medicine, Natural Remedies, Alternative Health Articles


Use of service subject to terms and conditions
Copyright Worldwidehealth.com © 2003-2012