Indian Head Massage is becoming an increasingly popular therapy which has to be experienced in order to be appreciated! When I was first introduced to this technique, I totally underestimated its power and value. It turned out to be one of the most popular therapies I have ever taught!
What is truly amazing about the therapy is that you find yourself relaxing more than you thought possible whilst sitting upright in a chair. Yes, it’s easy to relax when you are lying on a couch having a massage or a reflexology treatment, but who would have thought that you could sit in a chair and relax so completely?
It’s not just the head that gets a massage either - the name is misleading! I was disappointed at first when I realised this, but now I can see that it’s all a necessary part of the total relaxation Indian Head Massage brings. The areas massaged are as follows:
· Upper back and shoulders
· Upper arms
The massage can be suited to individual needs. It can be gentle or invigorating and even 10 minutes can be incredibly relaxing. What’s also great about this therapy is that you need no special equipment, no heavy couches, no towels or pillows just a reasonably comfortable, low-backed chair.
The benefits to be gained from regular treatment are many. Here are just a few:
· relieves stress, tension, anxiety and depression
· helps detoxify the body systems
· increases circulation of blood and oxygen
· aids the body’s natural healing process
· restores balance and harmony to all body systems
... is incredibly relaxing and feels great!
Conditions which may benefit include the following:
· any stress related disorders
· headaches/migraine/ eye strain
· sinusitis and other nasal difficulties
· skin problems eg psoriasis, eczema
· chronic pain and other conditions
· shoulder and neck tension
· poor concentration and memory loss
· hearing difficulties and tinnitus
· hormonal imbalance - pmt, menopause
· scalp and hair problems
….. and many more
If you’ve never tried Indian Head Massage, you’ve missed out on a wonderful experience. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn’t enjoy it. What better way to promote a good night’s sleep and relieve stress and strains of the day!
By Andrea Williams
All rights reserved. Any reproducing of this article must have the author name and all the links intact.