Food-preparation is an activity will all love doing on our favorite worktop, but in the long run it can under some conditions contribute to the build up of bacteria which can pose health risks and cause illnesses. Keeping your kitchen worktop sanitary clean will also prevent the surface from becoming sticky or slippery and improve its longevity.
Tips For Keeping a Kitchen Worktop Hygienically Clean:
1. Clean often - It goes without saying that you want to keep food-preparation areas hygienically clean, so wipe it down before and after every use. While most people will clean the worktop after its use, cleaning before is also important to remove bacteria which might have been added in between.
2. Use normal washing-up liquid - Some people find it easier to use an antibacterial spray, but warm water and mild washing-up liquid is enough if you are thorough and if you clean the worktop often.
3. Quickly absorb liquids - Primarily true for wood worktops, stains, liquid spills and food residue which are spilled on the worktop surface should be quickly wiped to ensure non is able to penetrate the wood. Wood worktops should be oiled from time to time to ensure liquids won’t sip through to the staves.
4. Clean the entire area - When cleaning the worktop, do not forget to clean the area near-by such as the kitchen tiles, otherwise any build up from this area might transfer over.
5. Use common sense - Tea and coffee stains should be cleaned off immediately to prevent build up, this is a very common stain which is full of bacteria. Organic solvents such as acetone, ethyl alcohol, 10% vinegar solution or citric acid can be used to remove marks such as ink or limescale if a mild washing-up liquid did not help. Given proper care and cleaning your worktop often will help keep it hygienically clean and will ensure it lasts for many years.
By Michelle Strassburg
All rights reserved. Any reproducing of this article must have the author name and all the links intact.