Lymphoma is cancer of the Lymphatic System. The Lymphatic system is comprised of lymph nodes and Organs. Lymph refers to plasma or the protein and fluid that are in blood. Lymph organs are the spleen, thyroid and bone marrow. The lymphatic system is composed of B-lymphocytes (B-cells) and C-lymphocytes (C-cells), the B-cells are developed from cells in bones marrow and C-cells are produced in the Thyroid gland. Lymph nodes are bean shaped and are found throughout the entire body, they range from a millimeter to a couple of centimeters in size. These nodes filter lymph and can become inflamed due to infection and develop into a tumor.
Lymphoma is a result of the body's cells growing out of control and forming a tumor that can be found anywhere. There are two types of Lymphoma: Hodgkin's Lymphoma and Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. The difference between the two is Hodgkin's Lymphoma tends to spread in a predictable pattern, effecting one area and them moving to another and reacts differently to medication than Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
Causes of lymphoma
As with all cancers no-one entirely knows why lymphoma is developed but the following conditions tend to increase the change of developing Lymphoma:
- A family history of Lymphoma or cancer of the Blood, Leukemia.
- A disease that has significantly lowered and depressed the immune system, for example AIDS, HIV and other cancers.
- Several virus infections: hepatitis C and Barr virus.
- Autonomic disease such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and asthma.
How to catch Lymphoma?
Lymphoma tends to manifest itself through tumors developed in the lymph nodes. Although these can be found anywhere places that are common are under the arm pit, neck, abdomen and groin area. The tumor will often be painless and resemble a lump. Most often people discover lymphoma from having a physical by a doctor or performing a self exam. Symptoms that commonly accompany Lymphoma are redness of skin, coughing, breathlessness, vomiting and abdomen pain.
How to Cure Lymphoma?
If Lymphoma is caught in the early stages there is great hope that it will be cured. Lymphoma is generally treated with chemotherapy, radiation therapy and biological therapy.
Lymphoma can have many side effects and alternative medicine provides a vast variety to help with many of the side effects.
- Anxiety can be paramount as a person undergoes therapy; meditation, yoga, aromatherapy and massage therapy can offer much needed relief. These therapies can help a patient feel like they have some control over their life and their emotions.
- Fatigue and exhaustion are too often experienced by cancer patients. Exercise, release technique, massage and nutrition can be great sources of energy.
- Nausea and vomiting are unpleasant side effects of many treatments. Acupuncture, acupressure, hypnotherapy and hypnosis can offer relief from nausea and help control vomiting.
- Pain. As Lymphoma becomes more severe pain can become a patient's constant companion. Pain can be controlled with the help of acupuncture, acupressure, hypnosis, massage, meditation and aromatherapy.
By Worldwidehealth Editor
All rights reserved. Any reproducing of this article must have the author name and all the links intact.