Xenical Orlistat is a prescription weight loss medication by Roche pharmaceuticals. Xenical Orlistat works on your digestive system to help prevent the absorption of one-third of the dietary fat. The undigested fat passes out of the body through bowel-movement. Thus by reducing your calorie in-take Xenical Orlistat helps you to gradually lose weight.
Xenical Orlistat is recommended to people in whom normal weight loss methods such as dieting and exercise do not result in effective weight loss. However, Xenical Orlistat also does not claim itself to be a magic drug. Xenical will only help you to achieve weight loss only when it is used in conjunction with physician supervised low-calorie diet and proper physical exercise.
Proper use of Xenical orlistat
To ensure proper use of Xenical orlistat, always use the medicine only as the advised by your doctor and at the prescribed dosage. This section offers tips to help you make proper use of Xenical orlistat.
There is only one standard Xenical Orlistat dosage regardless of your age, weight or other medical conditions. The standard recommended prescription dosage for Xenical Orlistat is one capsule (120 mg) three times daily with each meal that contains about 15 mg of fat. It is recommended that you take your Xenical dosage with the meal or up to an hour after the meal. If you skip a meal or if you eat a meal without fat, you should also skip your Xenical dosage.
The use of Xenical should be combined with a physician supervised reduced calorie, low-fat diet. If you consume a diet that is rich in fat, you increase your chances of getting embarrassing Xenical side effects such as diarrhea and uncontrolled bowel movement. Ideally, you should try to limit your fat intake to less than 30 percent of your total daily calories.
While reducing the absorption of fat in your body, Xenical Orlistat may also decrease the absorption of certain essential vitamins from your diet. Hence it is strongly recommended that you take a multi-vitamin once a day, at least two hours before or after Xenical. You may also take your multi-vitamin pill at bedtime.
Precautions to take before using Xenical orlistat
Xenical Orlistat is a prescription only weight loss pill hence it should always be taken on the advice or your doctor and at the prescribed dosage. This section offers you information on necessary precautions to take before using Xenical Orlistat so as to minimize side effects and maximize weight loss.
- While discussing Xenical Orlistat with your doctor, either face-to-face or via online consultation always inform about your general medical conditions and the medicines you may be taking. This helps the doctor decide on the suitability of Xenical Orlistat for you and also to determine the Xenical dosage.
- Do not alter your Xenical Orlistat dosage without consulting your doctor.
- Xenical Orlistat cannot work alone. It is meant to be used with an appropriate diet plan and exercise.
- Xenical Orlistat should not be prescribed to patients who have medical history, especially of: certain eating disorders (anorexia nervosa/bulimia), underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney stones/problems (e.g., calcium oxalate kidney stones, hyperoxaluria), certain gall bladder problem (cholestasis), certain digestive problem (chronic mal-absorption syndrome).
- Xenical Orlistat should also be used with caution in patients who are diabetic.
- Xenical Orlistat should be used with caution in patients taking cyclosporine or thyroxine
- Do take recommended multi-vitamin pill at the specified time.
- Also, inform your doctor if you have a known allergy to any of the component of Xenical orlistat.
- Xenical Orlistat should not be used by children or women who are pregnant of nursing.
- Inform your doctor if any of the Xenical Orlistat side effects become particularly bothersome.
Tests on Xenical Orlistat
Xenical Orlistat has undergone rigorous clinical trials before it was approved for sale as a weight-loss drug in the UK. The trials show that Xenical treatment is effective in around 70% of patients with these loosing somewhere between 5 and 10% of there body weight within the first year of its use.
Further, Xenical Orlistat is found to be highly effective in patients who are unable to lose weight by dieting alone. In clinical trials, Xenical diet pills have been proved to be twice as effective as 'dieting plans and charts'. You can lose twice as much weight if you buy Orlistat (approximately 13.4 lbs with Orlistat 120mg versus 5.8 lbs with dieting alone).
In a study, almost two-thirds of people treated with Xenical plus diet plan successfully lost at least 5% of their body weight after 2 years. In comparison, only half of the people treated with diet alone managed to lose 5% of their weight. There is clear scientific evidence that in overweight people, losing as little as 5% to 10% of the body weight can result in improved health.