|Eat fresh vegetables with every lunch (2 cups) and evening meal (at least 3 cups). When you are selecting the main course always try to avoid mixing proteins (meats) with starches (breads and potatoes).
By: Diane McLaren - Mississauga, Canada
|10 TIPS FOR A HEALTHY & HAPPY LIFE
1. Drink a cup of hot water with some lemon juice first thing in the morning. Very cleansing for the liver and the digestive system.
2. Breathe! Breathing properly will help you to relax and clear your head. Start your day by sitting in silence with your eyes closed for about 7 minutes. Bring your breathing into a natural rhythm. Then inhale deeply through your nose, all the way down to your belly, and breathe out slowly through your mouth. Let your thoughts come and go as they please, but donít pay any attention to them.
You will feel more relaxed, focused and ready for a new day.
3. Treat yourself to fresh juices and smoothies instead of coffee and cake.
4. Read the labels! The skin absorbs 60% of what we put on it, so choose natural, organic products instead of creams full of parabens and other nasties. Did you know that the average woman uses about 175 chemicals a day on her skin?
5. Be a garlic monster! Mix raw garlic with olive oil, honey and balsamic vinegar for a tasty salad dressing. Toss 8-10 cloves in olive oil and roast in the oven for about 15 mins, turning frequently. Serve with anything.
6. Olive oil is your friend. Use in your bath, on your scalp, on dry patches of skin, or on your hands and feet. And, of course, in cooking. Coldpressed, extra virgin oil is the best.
7. Make your own body scrub with raw cane sugar, olive oil and honey. Yum!
8. Be a wise woman or cunning man Ė buy a book with herbal remedies and try making some yourself. Fennel is a great digestive aid, chamomile is good for period pain and insomnia and milk thistle does wonders for the liver.
9. Relax! Less stress, means a happier life, less acne, clearer skin with less wrinkles, more energy and a healthy immune system.
10. Dance! In your living room, in a nightclub or on your way to the tube. Try salsa, flamenco or belly dancing. Great exercise and a good laugh.
By: Helena Lundvik - London, UK
|NATURAL COLD AND FLU REMEDIES
Everyone seems to be sniffling and coughing these days. And the fear of swine flu is still around. But there is no need to run off to your GP if you only have a blocked nose. Heal the natural way instead!
1. Prevention is the best cure; Eat superfoods every day, like carrots, garlic, broccoli, beetroot, watercress and tomatoes. Invest in good quality Multivitamin, Vitamin C and Echinea supplements.
2. During the first stages of a cold keep eating garlic and Vitamin C, fresh or in tablet form. Drink plenty of water, at least 1,5 litres a day. Make a hot, soothing drink with lemon juice, honey and freshly grated ginger.
Put a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil on a tissue and inhale to help with a blocked nose.
3. Keep your feet warm. Have a footbath with salt and a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil for 10 mins. Rub your feet with a mixture of 3 drops eucalyptus essential oil and 5ml base oil (like sweet almond or grapeseed). Put on some warm socks and relax.
4. Sleep and rest as much as possible. Donít stress. Let your body do what it does best Ė fighting viruses and bacterias whilst youíre in bed with a good novel. The body is very wise and it knows what to do. Being ill is the bodyís way of telling us we need to detox and calm down.
5. For a sore throat, blocked nose and fever, try some of my mumís special infusion.
This is not for the faint hearted, but works a treat:
Pour about 500ml of water in a saucepan. Add 2-3 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger (or 3 tablespoons ground ginger), 1 teaspoon basil (dried or fresh), 2 teaspoons black tea and as much freshly ground black pepper as you can handle.
Bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins. Strain and add a little honey and milk to taste.
Warning! This will make you sweat, so ensure that you relax afterwards.
By: Helena Lundvik - London, UK
|Low Back Help: Stretch in your Chair!
Sit down, and put one ankle over the other knee. Then, lean forward- keeping your back straight, take your belly toward your thigh. Feel a stretch in your hip? Perfect! This hip stretch will ease your low back pain.
By: Kathy Flippin, Dynamic Touch Massage - Costa Mesa, CA, United States
|Pregnancy Massage can help balance a woman's hormones. Relieving Stress, and improving Circulation will allow the body to find center and feel better.
By: Dynamic Touch Massage - Mission Viejo, CA, United States