|NATURAL COLD AND FLU REMEDIES
Everyone seems to be sniffling and coughing these days. And the fear of swine flu is still around. But there is no need to run off to your GP if you only have a blocked nose. Heal the natural way instead!
1. Prevention is the best cure; Eat superfoods every day, like carrots, garlic, broccoli, beetroot, watercress and tomatoes. Invest in good quality Multivitamin, Vitamin C and Echinea supplements.
2. During the first stages of a cold keep eating garlic and Vitamin C, fresh or in tablet form. Drink plenty of water, at least 1,5 litres a day. Make a hot, soothing drink with lemon juice, honey and freshly grated ginger.
Put a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil on a tissue and inhale to help with a blocked nose.
3. Keep your feet warm. Have a footbath with salt and a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil for 10 mins. Rub your feet with a mixture of 3 drops eucalyptus essential oil and 5ml base oil (like sweet almond or grapeseed). Put on some warm socks and relax.
4. Sleep and rest as much as possible. Donít stress. Let your body do what it does best Ė fighting viruses and bacterias whilst youíre in bed with a good novel. The body is very wise and it knows what to do. Being ill is the bodyís way of telling us we need to detox and calm down.
5. For a sore throat, blocked nose and fever, try some of my mumís special infusion.
This is not for the faint hearted, but works a treat:
Pour about 500ml of water in a saucepan. Add 2-3 tablespoons of freshly grated ginger (or 3 tablespoons ground ginger), 1 teaspoon basil (dried or fresh), 2 teaspoons black tea and as much freshly ground black pepper as you can handle.
Bring to boil and simmer for 5 mins. Strain and add a little honey and milk to taste.
Warning! This will make you sweat, so ensure that you relax afterwards.
By: Helena Lundvik - London, UK