Smoking has numerous side effects. It affects the smoker as well as the ones around him/her. A smoker inhales only 15% of the cigarette smoke while the rest is let out in the atmosphere and poses a serious danger to his family. More than 50% of the smokers die of a smoking related cause. Smoking is recognized as the single most common preventable cause of death. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4000 chemicals out of which around 23 are recognized as carcinogens. Needless to say, cigarette smoke is very dangerous to the body.
Cigarette smoke kills millions of people each year and still men continue to smoke. If you are really concerned about your health and of the ones around you, it is advisable to quit smoking. Once you stop smoking, the blood circulation in your body improves and your blood pressure returns to normal levels. You can avoid the risk of cancer in the long term by quitting smoking, and live a happy and healthy life.
Addiction to cigarettes causes mental problems such as anxiety and depression. A person who is trying to quit smoking faces numerous withdrawal symptoms, such as loss of appetite, anxiety, and sleeplessness. Depression can become a serious condition and it can affect the individual adversely, if it is not treated on time. You can follow these tips to quit smoking.
- Believe in yourself. Lack of self belief will scare you from many problems. If you believe that you can quit, one day you will. Determination is the first thing you should have.
- After you complete reading this list, make your own list. Create a personal plan for quitting.
- Write down why you wish to stop smoking. Is it to feel better, live longer or become closer to your family? Read it daily so that you can stick your goal.
- Ask your friends and family to support this decision of yours and be non-judgmental about it. Tell them to support you even if you are a little irrational at times in this endeavour.
- Set a quit date and stick to it. Extinguish your cigarettes and cigarette related problems forever on this date.
- Exercise daily and eat a balanced diet. Drink a lot of water.
- Keep yourself occupied in some work or the other.
- Talk with your doctor if you need additional support for quitting. Your doctor may prescribe you certain medications such as Champix, so that you can quit smoking easily.
Varenicline, marketed as Champix is an is an FDA approved oral prescription drug use by smokers to quit smoking. It works in two ways; first, by reducing the nicotine cravings by binding the receptors in the brain that respond to use of nicotine and by reducing the withdrawal symptoms. Secondly, it reduces the pleasure received by the smokers on smoking a cigarette. A dose of 0.5 mg is to be taken daily for the first 3 days. The similar dose is taken twice a day from the fourth to the seventh day and after that, a dose of 1mg is taken everyday.
By Anthony Delar Webmaster
All rights reserved. Any reproducing of this article must have the author name and all the links intact.