When choosing which Athens, GA Dermatologist it's important to consider a few things, in order to make sure you find the right one for you. Here's a little advice to help make your search easier.
- Find a local dermatologist: The internet is a powerful tool to start your search with. Visiting the websites of your local doctors will give you a fairly good feel of their practice. You'll also find online dermatologist locators at the American Academy of Dermatology and The Skin Care Foundation sites.
- Speak to your primary care physician: A referral from a doctor who is familiar with you, as well as, other local health care professionals is always a good idea. The nurses at your doctors' office will normally have helpful advice as well.
- Make a few calls: Once you have a list of doctors you're considering write down the questions you want to ask each about then give them a call. Here's a few you may want to include.
- Do you accept my medical insurance? - Do keep in mind the cosmetic procedures like anti-wrinkle treatments and laser hair removal are rarely covered.
- What are your office hours? - If it's difficult for you to take off from work during the day, then evening a weekend hours will be a huge plus.
- How long does it typically take to get an appointment? - While a Dermatologist who isn't busy would seem to be a bad choice you don't want to wait for an unnecessary length of time either. Asking a few doctors this question will give you an idea of what's typical in your area so you're not blindsided when you call for an appointment. In an emergency even an extremely busy doctor should be able to get you in right away.
- Can you give me patient references? - Positive testimonials from former and/or current patients will give you some idea of a Dermatologists' service, bedside manner, attitude, etc.
- Does the doctor have a particular area of expertise? - Dermatologists can handle most common skin problems but they may also specialize in one of a range of procedures and treatments.
- Set up an initial consult: A good Dermatologist will be able to connect with you. He or she should listen to any concerns you have, offer available options and be able to explain things in a way that you understand. You also don't want a doctor who seems rushed or inattentive to your needs. Sometimes it's just not a good fit simply because you don't feel comfortable with a particular Dermatologist and that's ok.
- Check out the office: While you're there be sure to take a look at how smoothly the office itself runs. Office staff should seem like a well oiled machine. You probably don't want your charts, appointments or test results handled by an unprofessional or unorganized crew.
Keep in mind while you search for an Athens, GA Dermatologist that you do have choices and, much like everyone else, not all doctors are created equal.
By Ryan Burns
All rights reserved. Any reproducing of this article must have the author name and all the links intact.