Trigeminal nerve is one of the (twelve) cranial (head) nerves. The trigeminal nerve as the name indicates is composed of three large branches. They are the ophthalmic, maxillary and mandibular branches. It has both sensory and motor components. Trigeminal neuralgia is paroxysmal (short & frequent) triggered face pain. There is sharp, lancinating pain in the face. The pain is often described as shock-like stabs of pain. The pain is only on one side of the face and may be elicited by touching trigger points in the skin of gums.
The cause of trigeminal neuralgia is not always certain. Approximately five percent of patients have a tumor pressing on the trigeminal nerve where it leaves the brain, while other patients have a blood vessel that presses on the trigeminal nerve, close to the brain. In some patients the cause cannot be determined. Usually it occurs after the age of 50. Rarely affects the children. The Provoking factors are slight breeze, brushing, shaving, chewing, applying makeup, dental fillings or procedures, light touch, etc.
No one specific test can confirm you have trigeminal neuralgia. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may be done to see if a blood vessel is pressing against your trigeminal nerve. An MRI can also look for signs of a tumor or other problems. Only from the symptoms it can be diagnosed
Role of Homeopathy in Trigeminal neuralgia
· Homeopathy relieves the intensity, frequency and duration of attacks
· Long duration of TN-free period (over 3-6 months) could be achieved in most patients during the course of the treatment
· Homeopathy controls the underlying process of nerve damage
· Homeopathy treatment is very helpful in resistant cases of trigeminal neuralgia even.
· It reduces the neuralgic pain most effectively and for a long term period. There will be no need for taking any pain medicines further
· The patient can take homeopathy with their usual medicines including pain medicines. But in course of time the pain medicines will not be necessary to take.
· The duration of homeopathy treatment depends upon the chronic state of the disease and intensity of pain. If the TN is more chronic in nature then it will take time to give satisfactory result. In that case both traditional and homeopathy medicines can take together. When the pain gradually comes under the control with homeopathy treatment the other medicines dose should be reduced or stopped looking at the situation.
· If there is nerve compression then the duration of homeopathy treatment is longer and the cure rate is also weaker than other.
Here are some homeopathy medicines that used for trigeminal neuralgia
Agaricus,coffea,berberis,aconite,chamomilla,colocynth,magphos,hypericum,calendula,kalmia, spigelia, sanguinaria, dioscorea, rhustox,
But it is advisable to use any homeopathy medicines only after consultation with any qualified homeopathy doctor.
For detail contact