In August 2003, the US FDA approved Levitra vardenafil as an erectile dysfunction treatment drug. Like Viagra, Levitra also belongs to a class of medicines called PDE5 inhibitors and therefore both the medicines work the same way. Levitra vardenafil helps men with impotence get sufficiently long and firm erections in response to sexual stimulation. However, the long-awaited competitor to Pfizer’s blockbuster drug Viagra, Levitra was hailed better than Viagra in several studies as it remains effective in the body for a longer time, has fewer side effects and is safe for patients with heart diseases.
Marketed by pharmaceutical giants Bayer and GlaxoSmithKline, Levitra vardenafil is a prescription only drug for erectile dysfunction treatment. Levitra is not a recreation drug that any man can take to experience a sexual high. Like any other prescription medicines, Levitra vardenafil also comes with certain side effects and is contraindicated in few conditions. Hence before using Levitra vardenafil one should take proper precautions. Always take Levitra vardenafil only if you have erectile dysfunction and after consultation with a doctor.
Define Levitra vardenafil
Vardenafil is the active ingredient in the impotence treatment pill. Like Viagra sildenafil, Levitra vardenafil is a phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor (PDE-5). Levitra vardenafil helps to smooth the muscles in the penis which in turn increases blood flow to the penis, allowing men suffering from impotence to get and maintain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse. When the sexual activity gets over, the blood flow to the penis decreases and the penis returns to its normal state.
It may be noted that Levitra vardenafil does not work on its own. Sexual stimulation is required to cause an erection. Once taken, Levitra becomes effective within 60 minutes and remains in the body for about 5 hours.
The advantage of Levitra vardenafil is that it is very selective in attacking PDE-5 and works without affecting other isoenzymes. This allows a smaller dose of Levitra vardenafil to have the same effect as a larger dose of Viagra (an average Levitra vardenafil dose is 10mg while an average Viagra dose is 50mg), even though the two drugs belongs to the same class of medicines and hence essentially function the same way.
Precautions to take before using Levitra vardenafil
Levitra vardenafil is a prescription only erectile dysfunction treatment medicine. If not taken with care, Levitra can be dangerous for you. Ensure you have taken proper precautions before using Levitra vardenafil. Listed here are precautions to take before using Levitra vardenafil.
- The foremost precaution is never to use Levitra without first discussing it with your doctor. Understand all the side effects associated with the medicine and talk about your medical conditions and medicines you may be taking. Depending on your condition, your doctor may adjust Levitra vardenafil dosage for you or may prescribe you a separate treatment.
- Do not use Levitra vardenafil if you are allergic to any of its components.
- Since some element of cardiac risk is involved in sexual activity, hence while discussing Levitra treatment tell your doctor if you suffer from cardiovascular diseases including high or low blood pressure, arrhythmia or angina. Levitra is not recommended for men with uncontrolled high blood pressure. Levitra vardenafil is to be used with caution in patients using alpha-blocker medicines used in heart ailments.
- Discuss your penis condition with your doctor and inform him if you suffer from pain in your groin or when you urinate. Let your doctor know if you have any physical symptoms including any change to the shape and size of your testicles or your penis. Also discuss if you have a history of painful/prolonged erection (priapism), sickle cell anemia etc.
- Use of Levitra vardenafil may cause dizziness or vision changes. Hence while using Levitra one should use caution while driving or while using machinery or while engaging in any other activity that requires mental alertness. To reduce dizziness, it is advised that one should limit alcohol consumption while using Levitra.
- Since Levitra and other medicines in its class may cause vision changes such as increased sensitivity to light, blurred vision, it is important to discuss if you are suffering from night blindness, tunnel vision or other eye problems with a genetic origin.
- Let your doctor know if you suffer from liver or kidney disease.
- Levitra vardenafil should never be used by women or children.
- Caution is advised while using Levitra vardenafil treatment in elderly as they are sensitive to the side effects of the drug.
By Katie B.A. & M.A. In English, BSC, SEO since last 2 years
All rights reserved. Any reproducing of this article must have the author name and all the links intact.