You might have read on some medicines that you may observe dry mouth after using that medicine. And I am sure you would have never bothered about it by taking it as a normal issue. You would have thought that drinking water is enough for you to get rid of dry mouth. But believe me, dry mouth is not as simple as it seems. It’s a serious issue which must be dealt carefully.
Xerostomia is the intermediate term used for dry mouth. As mentioned about, dry mouth is a much-complicated problem than what we think of. It can cause bad breath, or even you can feel a dry cough in the severe case. But this is not all. Dry mouth severely affects your teeth and gums. New cavities can start evolving on your teeth if you won’t take Xerostomia as a severe issue.
Medication and Medical Conditions Which Cause Dry Mouth
A Group of Dentist San Diego states that about 400 commonly used medicines are there in the market which tells that there can be xerostomia as the side effect of using that particular medicine. Apart from medicines, there are certain medical conditions like diabetes, Anaemia, hypertension which can be the cause of dry mouth. All these diseases affect the production of salvia which finally leads to xerostomia.
How Dry Mouth Affects Oral Health?
A certain level of moisture is required for the perfect health of your mouth. Some glands keep producing saliva to keep your mouth hydrated. If for any reason this saliva production is disturbed, you may feel the dry mouth. The saliva doesn’t allow the bacteria to grow in your mouth. When you sleep, the production of saliva is reduced and when you wake up your mouth smell bad because bacteria were grown in your mouth due to lack of saliva. If you observe dry mouth, there’s a chance that bacteria will start growing in your mouth and your gums and teeth will be at risk. Dentist San Diego says you must visit the nearest dentist as you get time if you are continually facing dry mouth issue.
What Should You Do About Dry Mouth?
A Group of Dentist San Diego recommends that you should visit the doctor if you were continually observing dry mouth. What you can do at home is listed below:
· Keep drinking water to keep your mouth hydrated. If you can’t drink glasses, then drink small sips after every few minutes.
· There are certain activities which can simulate the glands and the production of saliva like chewing gum. So chewing gum can be used to start the production of saliva.
· Stay in the well moist environment. The dry and hot environment can also be the cause of dry mouth.
· Avoid using sugary products.
· Don’t drink any alcoholic drink.
· If you are feeling the urge of coffee or tea, ignore that.
· Avoid drinking acidic drink which can further dry your mouth.
All these tips and prevention can help you to a certain level, but it’s not the proper treatment. You should visit the dentist if the issue prevails for a longer time.