It is so funny we consistently make up excuses as to why we are not staying fit and healthy? I have heard so many times "I'll start exercising this summer because it's easier to exercise when it's sunny." I find this excuse hysterical! It's silly to assume that just because the sun is shinning you will be more inclined to exercise. Remember when the sun is out often the heat is up and it's difficult to work out in the heat. I have put together a couple of ideas and tips on keeping fit for the rest of the summer, hopefully some will work for you.
- Work out in the cooler hours. This depends on how hot it gets and how intense your work out is, if you run or bike it is smart to do it the morning before work or school but if you have a membership to a gym this doesn't apply. By exercising in the heat of the day you can suffer from heat exhaustion having symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, muscle and joint weakness and headaches.
- Take it easy. If suddenly the weather has heated up dramatically don't expect to perform the same. Take a brake every 5 minuets to gradually adjust to the heat.
- Stay Hydrated. This is crucial for physical performance and avoidance of injury. When exercising it's not smart to gulp down tons of water, instead take a couple sips here and there to keep well hydrated.
- Use your Legs. With busy schedules it can be hard to fit exercising in with a job, kids and a house to keep in order so combine your To-Do list, For example: Exercise by walking briskly to the store to get your groceries. This not only keeps you in shape but also saves money on car fuel.
- Walks. Walking came be fun for the whole family. Find a local park or historical site and walk to it or around it. This activity builds muscles and family relationships. Also, it's great to create a walking group, arrange a time and go walking together.
- Swimming Pool. Summer is a great time to put the kiddos in swimming lessons and take them to the local pool to test out their new skills. If you feel uncomfortable in swim wear then buy new attire that suits your body shape and makes you feel great. If the pool is out doors remember to stay protected and hydrated.
- Cannoning. Is there a lake or river close to you? If so rent a canoe or kayak and have fun in the water while awakening new muscles.
- Plan it. Look at your calendar and plan physical activities with the family, your friends or co-workers.
- Camping. Camping isn't for every one but it's a great way to get out, go on hikes, fishing, swimming and defiantly it helps with shaping up.
- Fruit Picking. Take a trip to your local fruit farm and start picking! This is a great little workout that brings home delicious goodies and the whole family can have fun!
- Gardening. If you like to grow your own fruits and vegetables then start a family garden and spend a couple hours a week working on it.
- Join a Club. Become a member of a sports club. Being committed to others will help you follow through.
- Try Something New. This summer broaden your horizon, try horse ridding, tennis, racquet ball, dancing, basketball, football, golf etc...
By Worldwide Health Editor
All rights reserved. Any reproducing of this article must have the author name and all the links intact.